SB-104a vs. KWM-2

J. Douglas Hensley nfmk at JUNO.COM
Fri May 21 00:07:57 EDT 1999

Good evening everyone, i can't resist a little fun here.  To my
learned colleague within the Winged Emblem clan, I say:

Humbug. :-)   He's just jealous folks.  Imagine an S-line trying
to compete with the SB-104A/SB-230 combination.  It can't do it.

It cannot QSY or band change without preselection retuning,
dial recalibration, or transmitter retuning.  It cannot keep its
sensitivity, noise figure, or power output throughout the upper
amateur bands.   The KWM-2 drops to about 75 watts on 10
meters and is as sensitive on 10 meters as a National HRO.
The KWM-2 can suffer backlash and is famous for problematic
dial zeroing and set point.  Just wait until you experience the
non-repeating PTO end points.  Then you'll really love your KWM2.

It can't run a certified QRP mode.  It can't run on a gellcell or
backpack.
The S line is more prone to floating ground and AC hum problems.
It requires regular maintenance and has many times the expected
downtime over what you "might" experience with the SB-104.  The
noise blanker alone can cost you more than the SB-104 and, now
listen to this, does not really work according to CCA member reports.

And so it makes sense to buy a KWM2?  That's ridiculous.  The only
thing that makes sense regarding the KWM-2 is that if you get stuck
with one, use the Heath HP-23A power supply instead of the 516F2
and look for a Heath SB-600 speaker so that the SSB will not sound
like it is coming out of a pork and bean can.  You should also consi-
der the HW-101 whose production was astonishing; something like
29000 units I believe?  So well made that even Kenwood and Yaesu
freely copied the designs in whole or in part.

Your mileage of course may vary but if you've ever been around KWM-2's
you'll probably agree that the money you have spent makes you defend
it for being more than it really is.  Not knocking the KWM2 you under-
stand, just setting the record straight.   Imagine a Collins S-line owner
saying that you should be aware that transistors can be expensive. :-).

Good night everyone.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH