Questions About Heathkit Receivers

Stewart Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Fri May 21 04:34:51 EDT 1999

Hi Ken and welcome to the wonderful world of ham radio.  I've been at it
for 50 or more years and am still enthusiastic.

I think you mean "transceivers" when referring to HW and SB. Assuming
that, the real difference between, say, a HW-101 and a SB-101 was the VFO
and dial assembly. The SB dial and VFO is very smooth and linear whereas
the HW dial/VFO was "warbely" and difficult to calibrate.  Considering
that they currently sell for nearly the same price ($120-$200), I would
definitely pursue a SB-101or -102.

However . . . being a Heathkit nut is similar as being a Mustang nut
(which I was).  When I finally realized they were a styled Falcon, I
began to look for something else.  If you are into Heathkits because you
love old stuff with tubes (my case) then carry on. But if you're not
carrying the baggage of nostalgia, maybe something more modern would work
better. As I posted earlier, I would look at some of the older (~1980's)
Japanese transceivers. They had a lot of performance for the $.

73, Stu W6CUX

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH