SB104, KWM2 et al

Bob N5NJ n5nj at ATT.NET
Fri May 21 13:12:56 EDT 1999

One other problem with the SB104 is it's lack of ability
to handle many strong signals on a crowded band.  I had
an SB-104 for a while and I could not use it on 40m at
night.  All the strong SW broadcasts would send the
front end out of control.  If someone has poor antennas,
you may not ever notice this problem and the receiver
would sound great.

I recall using a vertical that was mounted on the back
of the Fair Lawn, NJ Heathkit store and hearing all
sorts of stuff on 10m.  A plus of the SB104 to me was
it's size.  It was a substantial radio and was easy to
work on. Front-end overload is not a problem with the
KWM2, TS520, or even an SB104 contemporary, the Drake
TR7 which had an excellent front-end in it's receiver.
Granted, the TR7 cost a lot more, but the price gap has
narrowed substantially today(if you don't buy one you-
know-where).

I also had an SB102 and although it was a labor of love,
I just can't bring myself to buy one now for the
nostalgia of it as I know that I can spend the same
money on something else that will run rings around it -
like a TS-520 or a TS-820 or any number of other hybrid
type rigs.  It seems that these hybrids are now in what
I call the "junk" category and people have to almost
give them away.  Also getting into the junk category are
the early all solid state rigs like the TS-120, TS-130,
TS-430, IC-720, IC-730 and also the FT-107's etc.

Regarding values, it's interesting to me how the various
types of equipment have gone from pieces of junk to
collectors items over the last few years.  I recall
seeing lot's of good condition equipment begging to be
sold in Dayton in years past at low prices.  This year,
there was a relatively limited assortment and most were
priced at top dollar.

73,
Bob N5NJ

Robert E. Naumann