Motor oil in Cantenna

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Fri May 21 21:21:06 EDT 1999

Hello:

I don't know my hydrocarbons well, but I thought one reason motor oil was not advised (contraindicated?) was something to do with flash point/ignition temperature. Or maybe that's why you're not supposed to use vegetable oils. Mineral Oil...isn't that just a different refinement of a petroleum oil, which means it shares a common lineage with motor oils...but automotive products have additives fro various reasons...don't know about lubricants, but gasoline can contain between 50 and 100 other added compounds (usually kept secret as part of the manufacturers recipe).

Perhaps these too could affect the composition of the resistor thru absorption.

Murray
    -----Original Message-----
    From: WB2TBB <ham at CYBERCOMM.NET>
    To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
    Date: Friday, May 21, 1999 11:32 AM
    Subject: Motor oil in Cantenna

    When I was in High School and built a cantenna, the price of a gallon of mineral oil was
    more than the cantenna cost. Plus the embarassment factor. I had no idea where to get
    transformer oil.
    So, in went a gallon of straight 10 weight motor oil. I think the manual specifically states
    not to do this.
    Well, I don't tune up with a KW for anything approaching a minute. If it takes more than
    5 seconds, something is wrong. Its been about 25 years, and the cantenna with the same
    motor oil has been serving me fine ever since.
    ...Dave