ALUM. SOLDERING

Jan Skirrow dma at ISLANDNET.COM
Wed Nov 3 18:35:59 EST 1999

At 11:52 AM 11/2/99 -0500, Robert Schlegel wrote:
>Anyone have a tip or two on the soldering of alum. ???  Must repair a couple
>of  SB cases which have unnecessary holes.
>Bob  N7BH

It ain't soldering, but ...

I've filled unnecessary holes in aluminum by putting a fibreglass patch on
the back side and filling the hole with Bondo. If you make sure the patch
is <<absolutely>> cured before applying the Bondo, it works quite well. Of
course, how carefully you apply the Bondo also will determine how much
sanding will be needed to achieve the desired flatness! If there are
residual scratches in the Bondo you can use scratch filler. Then paint as
you normally would. All of these items are standard autobody things.

BTW - the main purpose of the fibreglass patch is to stiffen the panel
enough to provide a solid backing for what is a fairly thin "plug" of
filler. Otherwise, it the panel flexs at all your "plug" will on the tabletop.

Jan Skirrow, VE7DJX

... in sunny (sometimes rainy) Maple Bay, BC, Canada

"So many radios, so little time"

   http://www.islandnet.com/~dma/Boatanchors/

Information, Parts, Pictures, Articles: The R-390A
and other classic gear.

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov