Dial belts again

Bob Carner rscarner at VT.EDU
Tue Nov 16 09:20:05 EST 1999

Another good source for belts and pulleys is 'Small Parts, Inc'.
        Bob C.

At 06:48 AM 11/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone thought of using miniature toothed rubber belts, commonly
>known as Gilmer belts?  I'm just a lurker on this list, don't own any
>greenboxes at the moment, but I have seen Gilmer belts in sizes all the
>way down to 1/4" wide.  I think McMaster-Carr carries the belts and
>pulleys, as well as miniature chain and the associated sprockets...
>
>Stewart Lyon wrote:
>>
>> Hi again Paul,
>> Yes, the SB-101 had rubber belts. I built mine in 1968 (and still have
>> it) and it used belts. I used to get phonograph drive belts from my local
>> radio store as replacements -- but they don't carry them anymore. I tried
>> the PepBoys O-rings everybody is talking about but I think they are too
>> "spongy". I located a special o-ring that is made as a belt from an
>> aerospace supplier my co. uses and was able to get a few "samples" toward
>> the several thousand I was going to buy if they worked out. They did work
>> well but it's too much of a hassle to buy them.
>>
>> Now ... if one could locate a drive pully that had a set screw instead of
>> being soldered on the shaft, the dial strings would be a perfect
>> solution. Of course you also need the springs which is a whole new set of
>> problems!!
>>
>> 73, Stu W6CUX
>>
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:10:25 -0500 "Paul K. Dean"
>> <wb9hgz at CHARLOTTESVILLE.NET> writes:
>> {clip}
>> >So, on to the SB-102 manual and another beautiful diagram on
>> >installing rubber belts.  Now, trivia..... my SB-101 manual is a
>> partial, no
>> >assembly.
>> > The 101 has rubber belts.  Should it?  I'm guessing so.
>> >Great discussion, folks!
>> >73, Paul, wb9hgz
>>
>> Sponsored by the City of Tempe
>>
>> Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov
>
>--
>"It is sadly typical of a decayed society that the majority
>are willing- without question and damning those who do question-
>to follow any authority figure,
>selling their birthrights and betraying their neighbors,
>all for the promise of temporary relief of some problem.
>I'm sure you remember what Benjamin Franklin
>had to say about such a people."
>
>Sponsored by the City of Tempe
>
>Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov

Bob Carner, EE, SysAdmin, and Network Liason
Brooks Forest Products Center
Department of Wood Science and Forest Products
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
rscarner at vt.edu (work)
rscarner at usit.net (home)

540 231-7453 (office)
540 231-8868 (fax)