Fw: DX-60A

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 20 20:34:27 EST 1999

Although not a Heathkit, last night at 8:22 PM, a
Hammarlund HX-50A was delivered by UPS to my house.
It was packed in its original shipping container and
that was put in a much larger box with Pelspan
(styrofoam "peanuts") around it.  The outer box was
completely split and the driver was complaining of all
the styrofoam that was in her truck.  Fortunately, the
HX-50A made it fine.  However, considering the
mis-handling that was done it is a wonder.

I often ship by UPS.  However, I used to own a company
that shipped from 20 to over 50 parcels a day weighing
from just a few ounces to well over 500 pounds.
Although I ususally did not do the actual shipping, I
do know how to pack.  It takes about twice what one
would think to pack a parcel properly, especially for
UPS.  I have been fortunate in that all of my parcels
(so far) sent by UPS have arrived in very good
condition.  But, that will not necessarily hold true
for ever.

Then, there is the Collins 75A3 that a guy shipped me
from Canada by UPS that was thrown in a box with no
packing at all!  All the knobs were broken and the
cabinet was cracked.  Fortunately, none of the damage
was fatal.  No attempt to contact UPS about that one,
for their insurance people would have "died laughing"
from the packing that was done.

Sometimes I use newspaper, but only for very light
items.  Then use an inner box that is many times
smaller than the outer box.

Packing is both an Art and a Science.  If you are
going to ship items, then you must learn how to do it
properly.

Glen, K9STH

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov