Additional packing & packaging info

George Gleim george at QNQ.COM
Sun Nov 21 15:42:12 EST 1999

Well, I just gotta add something to this runaway train.  A few years ago I shipped a SB-401,
SB-301, and a SB-310 to a collector in Japan.  I first placed a few layers of bubble pack
under the lid of each unit to keep the tubes in place.  Next, each unit was wrapped in about
3 inched of bubble packing.  I wrapped the radios side to side and then front to back.
Then, each radio was enclosed in a plastic garbage bag to keep the rest of the packing
material outside.  The radio was placed in a box and filled with styrofoam peanuts.  This
box was placed in another larger box.  Each side of the larger box had a 12" by 12" by 3"
square piece of foam padding; the kind used to upolster chairs and couches.

The result after sending these boxes halfway around the world?  The only problem was one of
the dial calibration pully had slipped off.  That's it!  I would say that the radios shipped
well.

By the way, the shipper was FedEX, International Economy service.  Took about 5 days in
transit.

Here's what I have learned.

1)  Radios must be packed well.  Perhaps even overpacked.
2)  NO shipper is without accidents and...
3)  Accidents do indeed happen.  That is what insurance is designed to protect.

Just a thought...

George (with more radios than hands to use them)

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov