WTB - ignition 'hash' chokes

Mike Morris morris at COGENT.NET
Thu Nov 25 03:38:36 EST 1999

At 10:16 PM 11/22/1999 , you wrote:
>Hello Keepers of the Green Flame!
>
>Not specifically a Heath WTB, but greenies have the best sources of
>junquebox parts and knowledge, so I come here first.
>
>For my HF/VHF/UHF mobile installation - need several 'hash' chokes that
>can handle 20 - 30 amps. Also looking for filters to filter out
>alternator whine plus a pulse-type noise that rides on DC (which is about
>18Khz sqaure wave from computer module).

For the whine filters, check the local high-end car stereo shops.  Here
in L.A. it's not unusual to find 300w+ car stereos (some of the local
cops call them Boogie Buggies or Thump Trucks).  I saw one at a show
that had FOUR 250w amps - the owner said that he had cracked the back
window once. Well, even if the amplifiers were 100% efficient 300w at
12v is still 25a...

For alternator whine in my old Yaesu 720 I used the secondary of a 10a
filament transformer (it had been headed to the trash due to an open
primary until I realized that I had  high current choke in my hand...)

Mike WA6ILQ

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov