HW-16 final amp

wa1vwl wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Sat Nov 27 11:26:55 EST 1999

They probably used a sweep tube instead of a real RF power tube because
of cost and availability. Sweep tubes were cheaper than 6146's and
available from local Radio shack and Lafayette stores as well a
countless other local repair shops. Since the sweep tube was used in
intermittent service, it was supposed to last a long time. I don't know
about the HW-16, but I do know of a mod for Drake transmitters where
6146's are subbed for 6JB6's. Might be worth a shot. The situation is
now reversed: 6146's are common and as a rule, sweep tubes are hard to
find and expensive.

Gerry

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov