SB 101 (fwd)

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Mon Oct 11 16:10:45 EDT 1999

At 03:52 PM 1999-10-11 -0400, Rich Sahlender wrote:
>As I read on the ba list, here's a slightly contrarian viewpoint:
>
>Perhaps more people would visit Dale's site if he didn't require
>javascript to view that info. I for one will get the info some
>other way. There's no reason to require javascript to display simple
>ascii text.

Very little of the info on Dale's site is just simple ASCII text. Not only
are there Heath product matrixes, but also schematics, pictures, links, and
other kinds of neat things, most accessible through pulldown menus which
certainly help keep the site from becoming unsightly and difficult to
maneuver within.

I agree about the undesirability of Java in the average web site; but I've
had no problem with Dale's site compared to many others where completely
unnecessary wild flashing and moving graphics are thrown in just to win web
site awards, about which the average web surfer(such as myself) could care
less. If there's anything I would wish for, it is that the schematics could
be printed directly from my browser. As it is, they have to be saved as a
page, called up within some graphics program, then trimmed to size. I have
no objection to doing all that if only because there is hardly any other
way to get most of those schematics for free :o)))

I think the main problem with few visitors to Dale's site is none of us
publicize it very often; I'd like to see it mentioned at the bottom of the
signature block for the Heath reflectors. I can't remember how many times
someone has shown up on a reflector asking for a schematic for the SB610
station monitor, as a specific example, and I've pointed them to Dale's
site; certainly, more than half a dozen!

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov