SB 101 (fwd)

Rich Sahlender rsahlen at VOICENET.COM
Mon Oct 11 18:14:39 EDT 1999

I understand your explanation and agree with your description especially
the part about the wild flashing and moving unnecessary grahpical thingies.
That is the 2nd reason why I avoid sites that require java/javascript.

The primary reason is that I have found lately that java and javascript
are being used almost as much as cookies are to gather information about
what one has viewed in their browsers. The marketeers love this as they
can "target" their products or services at those that seem most interested.
This is, to me, as bad as unsolicited telemarketing phone calls and spam
emails.

I most often use a text browser called lynx, but when I need a graphical
browser for something specific I do use netscape. However, I've disabled
cookies and java/javascript because of the marketeers. It's a shame...

Regards,
Rich

>>As I read on the ba list, here's a slightly contrarian viewpoint:
>>
>>Perhaps more people would visit Dale's site if he didn't require
>>javascript to view that info. I for one will get the info some
>>other way. There's no reason to require javascript to display simple
>>ascii text.
>
>Very little of the info on Dale's site is just simple ASCII text. Not only
>are there Heath product matrixes, but also schematics, pictures, links, and
>other kinds of neat things, most accessible through pulldown menus which
>certainly help keep the site from becoming unsightly and difficult to
>maneuver within.
>
>I agree about the undesirability of Java in the average web site; but I've
>had no problem with Dale's site compared to many others where completely
>unnecessary wild flashing and moving graphics are thrown in just to win web
>site awards, about which the average web surfer(such as myself) could care
>less. If there's anything I would wish for, it is that the schematics could
>be printed directly from my browser. As it is, they have to be saved as a
>page, called up within some graphics program, then trimmed to size. I have
> no objection to doing all that if only because there is hardly any other
>way to get most of those schematics for free :o)))
>
>I think the main problem with few visitors to Dale's site is none of us
>publicize it very often; I'd like to see it mentioned at the bottom of the
>signature block for the Heath reflectors. I can't remember how many times
>someone has shown up on a reflector asking for a schematic for the SB610
>station monitor, as a specific example, and I've pointed them to Dale's
>site; certainly, more than half a dozen!
>
>73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov