Unbuilt Heathkits

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Thu Oct 21 01:50:08 EDT 1999

ALL collectibles go up in value over time. Just look at NOS tubes. The
best EL34 tube is Mullard, type XF1 or XF2, which now commands a price
of 150.00 each. So to retube, a push-pull four tube amplifier costs
$600.00. Is this reasonable? It depends on just how much the best sound
is worth to you.

But for unbuilt Heathkits there are still good deals out there. Like my
1962 Daystrom(Heathkit) DG 294 unbuilt AM radio that I recently bought
at you know where. I paid $75 for it, but it is easily worth five times
that!

I collect many things, but I never regret buying something no matter how
much I pay. The hunt for a collectible is worth as much as the thrill of
owning it. Some collectibles take five to ten years, or more, to find.
Since we only will live so long, who's got time to argue whether the
price is worth it. Once that collectible which has been searched for is
finally found, sometimes ANY price is worth it - law of supply and
demand!

On a personal note, I enjoy my Heathkits, and all my other collectibles.
Life is short, so I like to enjoy it. Collecting is one way to do just
that. When I was younger I could not afford to purchase Heathkits. Now
that I am older and I have the means to buy Heathkits, I can have fun
using and building them. Hobbies are great - cost is not really all that
important as long as it is kept within reason. Splurging on a little
fun(however you define it) spices up your day!

Lets keep on using and building those Heathkits!

Harvey A. Kader -http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes &
http://www.geocities.com/tubesforsound

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov