Results: SS-9000 Study

Daniel Ruth heathkit at JUNO.COM
Sun Apr 2 20:28:01 EDT 2000

   Well, as you'll see below, I didn't get the time to do what I wanted
to do with this study - which was to CALL all of the people on my list
(30) and converse with them.  For a while, I was subscribing to a "flat
rate" phone service - which allowed me to call and talk for as much as I
wanted for only $35.00 a month.  But this service ended up being "VOIP"
(Voice Over Internet Protocol) and the service was not dependable, and
when I did get a call through, the quality was TERRIBLE.  So my "study"
then languished.  I do intend to continue contacting the remainder of the
list and gathering statistics - but I thought that I had waited long
enough and should publish "something".

   Over all:
1)  the 7 serial numbers that I DID manage to get were from J317V021 to
J317V134.  If you consider the haphazard way that I obtained this list of
30 people, then you can conclude that there probably WAS less than 300 of
these things made!

2)  Some SS-9000s didn't have serial numbers on them (some said STORE
DEMO where the number should have been).

3)  One or two people owned more than 1 SS-9000 (one fella owns 3 of
them!)

4) Most were operational (and I "feel" for anyone who has a broken one).

Sorry for not having more stats than I do.  Thanks for the individual
them (hopefully, I did!)   Anybody still interested in this topic, please
keep in touch.

73, Danny  W3ZF
heathkit at juno.com
webpages:    members.zdial.com/~heathkit    (do NOT put "www" in front of
this address)
                      www.qth.net/~w3zf    (this page has my handsome
picture on it)

Sponsored by the City of Tempe