Another DX-60 mod

Gerald C. Lemay wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Mon Apr 10 21:01:10 EDT 2000

The contacts on the DX-60 function switch always show evidence of damage,
sometimes beyond repair. It's never a good idea to switch high-voltage DC in
the first place, never mind the function switch's puny contact ratings. Your
idea seems like it could work, although I confess I haven't looked at the
schematic as I write this. I once repaired one of those switches by actually
putting in a new set of contacts taken from another switch. The contacts
were held in place with miniature screws taken from an eyeglass repair kit.
I'll have to rey your idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Mark S Graalman
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 6:37 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Another DX-60 mod

   Here's a mod for the DX-60 I believe will preserve the
ever failing function switch in these rigs:

 Disconnect the wires from the function switch lugs 4 and 5 and
connect these wires to the accessory socket pins 3 and 7.
 Then build up a toggle switch controlled T-R relay and use
an aux set of N.O. contacts of the T-R relay to switch pins
3 and 7 of the accessory socket. The T-R relay having its own
power supply instead of getting its power from the DX-60 will
then control T-R switching and also the B+ in the transmitter
so the function switch becomes nothing more than a mode and
off-on switch. The modification requires no holes and could
be reversed in a few minutes.
 What cha think?

Mark  WB8JKR

Sponsored by the City of Tempe