"Hot" SB-303

The Boutwells Bill & Mary boutwell at THE-BRIDGE.NET
Mon Apr 10 23:04:02 EDT 2000

My SB-303 seems to be running too "hot" (not temperature).  I have a fair amount of background noise and most signals have barely understandable audio with the AGC in the "fast" position.  It sounds like the audio is "over driven", if that makes any sense.  The audio sounds fine in the "slow" AGC position.  Voltages seem to check out.  Another symptom that may be relavent (or just another problem) is the AF/volume control seems to have a dead area.  When the volume is turned up, it jumps up too quickly when I compare it to another SB-303 I have.  The volume control is the correct Heath part number.  Everything else works great.  Good sensitivity.  Any ideas?

Tnx   Bill, KB0BK