Heath IM-2410 problem

Walt Yatzook w1atv at HOME.COM
Mon Apr 17 17:10:54 EDT 2000

Hi Carl, I have the same counter and generator. Never had a problem with
either. I must say that I've always found the counter to be very
sensitive, I can read frequency from a one transistor oscillator, I
think that is sensitive enough. Many times I would use a bnc T off the
generator and inject a signal while reading the frequency. If you think
the counter front end is a lame duck I would just replace the pre-amp
transistor.
My guess is that somewhere along the line a strong signal (say a ht) hit
the counter and blew the front end.
73 walt w1atv

> reds1964 wrote:
>
> Hello All,
> I have a Heath IM-2410 frequency counter and it seems to have a
> problem. It seems to lack sensitivity especially at the lower
> frequencies. I plugged it directly into my IG-102 and it would not
> lock onto any frequencies except around 20-30 mc's and then it still
> jumped around some. I can key my 2-meter rig and it will lock onto
> that signal using a short length of wire at the counter input. Was
> this just not a very sensitive counter or am I expecting too much? I
> know the output from the signal generator is fairly low but it seems
> that it would be able to lock on when it is plugged directly into the
> rf output. It would not lock on any other way either except as I
> mentioned before when the frequency was on the higher end. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks es 73's
> Carl Miller KA5KAB

Sponsored by the City of Tempe