sb-102 vs KWM-2

Carl Hyde cshyde at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 20 10:25:50 EDT 2000

Sitting on the shelf they resemble each other and
perform about the same and have similar
specifications.  The SB-102 can do a good job on CW
and has the capacity for a CW filter. You can buy 10
SB-102s for the price of one KWM-2 and you can
maintain all 10 of them for ten years for the price of
one KWM-2 slug rack. They both are a pleasure to use
and a lot of fun to own.  I suspect that a lot of
Collins owners have had an SB-102 or HW-101 in their
shacks and liked them very much. I have both and work
them all the time. If you've never had an SB-102
you've missed out on a very nice rig.

--- Stewart Lyon <stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:41:13 -0400 David Rogovitz
> <drogovitz at HOME.COM>
> writes:
> > Hi Guys,
> >        I got into a debate with one of my Collins
> buddies and he
> > claims the Heath SB-102 was lifted from the
> collins KWM-2 design. Is
> there
> > any truth to this statement? I know a lot of
> behind the scenes copying
> > goes on in this business.
> > 73 de David
>

> All one has to do is compare the two designs to know
> that is not true.
> The SB-100 may have been inspired by the KWM-2 ( see
> Chuck Penson's book)
> but about the only things they have in common are :
> size, double
> conversion, & 6146 finals. Collins used 455kc
> mechanical filters, Heath
> used 3395kc crystal filters; Collins used inductive
> tuning, Heath used
> capacitive tuning. etc, etc.
> Heath was using 6146s in their first designs
> (DX35,DX100, etc). Maybe
> Collins copied Heath. Whoops.
>
> 73, Stu W6CUX (/AE, at last)
>
> Sponsored by the City of Tempe