Repairing the LMO dial....

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Sat Apr 22 10:04:51 EDT 2000

I have repaired several SB-XXX dials, including gluing broken ones back
together. Start by removing the two screws on top of the LMO that mount
the turns-counter/ pilot lites, and set this assembly aside. You can now
see down into the guts and access the set-screw on the back of the dial.
Next, remove the main tuning knob and the nut around the shaft bushing.
Now remove the small curser-set knob on the upper right of the dial
escutcheon. Carefully pull the bottom of the escutcheon out about an inch
and down a 1/4". Carefully push the little shaft through the hole in the
escutcheon and set it aside. Remove the bottom and top drive pulleys.

At this point in time it is nice to have a special wrench. You will need
an Allen wrench to fit the set-screws, about 6" long. I took 2 ea, 4"
wrenches to a welding shop and had them cut the bend off of one and weld
the 2 together.

Using the above wrench you can now loosen the dial set-screw to calibrate
the dial or to remove it. To remove the dial, first remove the 4 nuts
holding the LMO in place. Slide the LMO back and lift the dial out the
top. Anything more than this will require removing all the knobs and
shaft washers and nuts, and the 2 top 6-32 screws and nuts, and remove
the front panel. Good luck.

Ed Richards

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov