SB Dials from Mike

Mike Shelton sheltonm at PHYSICS.UNC.EDU
Wed Apr 26 10:11:43 EDT 2000

I have saw several request on the list,last couple of days about the SB
Circular
dial.So I am posting this message. As most of you know I do a lot of
Service
on Amateur Radios, Heath, Collins, Kenwood etc. and some Test Equipment
Repair
etc.After a couple of years at this Radio service I find replacement
parts
hard to find or a no find!, So as a Electronic Tech. and Machinest I
decided
to fabricate some "replacement parts" for Radios such as Heath and
others.
the Sb series parts were the ones I received the most inquiries for ,the
circular dial, nylon followerer and KNOBS! So with my service background
in the plastics industry, I made some calls etc. anyway I made some
prototypes
but wanted the original dial look, so we made molds and are making some
units
by casting method. of course they have to be silkscreened to. but as
soon as
the first units are complete I will post a picture of these parts on my
website
so you can see what unit looks like. Knobs will be made by this method
also.
unfortunately this method is rather slow and the "master metal mold" is
not
cheap! from that other casting molds are made so multiple units can be
done
cost effectively. A injection mach mold cost 25-50K dollars so that was
out!
and they require min count orders etc. So this is the next alternet
method and
most econominal for my purpose, as for cost it has not been determined
yet.
will have to finish a small batch and work from that.
I will also be offering other replacement parts such as estucheon's,
front panels
bushings, couplings,most cosmetic items that can be copied, plus all the
hard to
find electrical parts, custom coils , chokes,switches, and Meter parts.
Hopefully by years end all these other items will be in stock.
I have a Coil Winder to redo or rewind old forms. We also have a full
machine
shop and as you can see on the webpage a nice electronic service bench.
website is
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/totalelectronics
keep it bookmarked! and I will post here when pictures are inserted.
parts well , we have 100,000 plus transistors,IC's, Resistors,
Capacitors,Diodes,
and other assorted electronic parts.
all email to the shop should be sent to >ke4lgx at yahoo.com           or
                                           ke4lgx at netpath.net
Any special need or service request or part to be duplicated email or
call me
at 336-229-5671 after 7:00PM, fax is on line during the day.
I am the only one servicing equipment but I do have a piece work
machinest helping out, and the XYL is helping some. Service is 3-4 Wks
behind,Full Restores
are somewhat longer because of parts,panel reworks and cabinet painting.
WE DO All BRANDS OF EQUIPMENT. Send equipment with literature.
also see our magazine ad in the Southeastern Repeater Journal.

Thanks to All for the Bandwidth.
--
Mike Shelton CET.
        ke4lgx