[HeathKit] Virus recovery

Gary Schafer gschafer at MEDIAONE.NET
Sat Apr 29 21:10:29 EDT 2000

Hi John

Glad it didn't get you! I am enclosing the link to the Norton web page with the
information on the virus. It tells what files to look for on your computer to
see if it is infected.  The only reason I posted this virus stuff here is that
it came from one of the lists. Not sure which one but sounds like lots of people
were affected that are on some of these lists. For those that were not affected
by this I apologize for the band width.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/c9193164d07a9a0f8525667a0055a1f1/9d7b9cecc5c912658525687a007f032a?OpenDocument&src=tr

73
Gary  K4FMX

John Dolan wrote:

> Gary Schafer said: <<<
> Keep in mind I am using the Netscape browser which this virus is not
> supposed to infect or bother at all. It is the Microsoft browser that it
> will attach itself to if you haven't downloaded their patch to prevent it.
> However even though it was not supposed to bother the Netscape browser, I
> lost my email inbox as a lot of others on the list did as far as I have
> gathered.  I do not know if the same technique that I used above for
> clearing the emails will work if you are using the Microsoft browser.  Up
> and running again after a frustrating day.  Hope this is of help to someone.
> >>>

> Yes the above was of help,  as I am using the latest 5.1 IE with all the
> security upgrades as of today.  When the Kak infected email showed up in my
> 5.0 Outlook Express, a MicroSoft Warning message popped up saying that the
> script was unsafe and may not display properly, as it had been intercepted
> by the MS security patch.  Mcafee totally missed it, but the MS security
> patch caught it, and neutralized it.
>
> I have since read the message several times and scanned it twice with
> Mcafee.  I lost no inbox items at all, including the offending message, and
> I have no *.hta files and no virus Alerts from Mcafee's software.  Their
> Website search shows no information on KAK or hta anywhere on their site.
> Their search engine must be down and failing unsafely, or they are worse
> than I thought!
>
> Thanks for the feedback, even though it is supposed to be Off Topic and
> Verboten!
>
> John

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov