No subject

Marco Ciocca marco at PA.UKY.EDU
Mon Aug 7 13:26:04 EDT 2000

At 11:24 AM 7/31/00 -0500, you wrote:

>EK> Hi Marco, you haven't told us what all you are fighting on this 401.
I must assume
>it is a TX problem.  You ought to tell the guys what the fight is all
about, whether on
>one or all bands, what rx you have it hooked up to, pwr, out readings,
dummy load
>used....that sort of thing.  Have you looked at the service bulletins on
Dale Wentz's
>site??  http://members.accessus.net/~dwentz/kb9jja/heathkit/  There are a
number of tech
>bulletins onTX issues for the 401.  You probably should have given your
tube tester id's
>also.  I use a Heath TT-1A transconductance tester and could easliy have
given the
>settings for it.  6146B's have many variations (brands).  Tube tester or
not, I would
>highly recommend a spare set of GE's.  Some folks experience crappy
operation with some
>of the other brands.
>
>Just a few thoughts.
>
>Ed
Ed:

The transconductance tester I have is a I-177/B.  The problem I am having
is apparent total lack of TX.
The SB-401 is an e-bay purchase, so I know nothing of its former status,
but it has the crystal pack installed.
I also have a well functioning sb-301.
I tried to just use the pair, but no TX at all (no grid  or plate current
either.  Hv, however, is up at 800V).
I tried to follow the alignment procedure as per manual, and I was able to
peak the Het. crystals and the grid and the drive for all bands.  At this
point the manual illustrates the procedure to neutralize the tubes for 29
MHz operation.  I did get RF out at this point by keying down (the rf
probe-VTVM vent out of scale) but, with me doing nothing, it went away.
Thanks!
Marco

Marco Ciocca                            KF4URS
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy          phyciocc at acs.eku.edu
Eastern Kentucky University             Office: (606) 622-6172
Richmond, KY 40475                      Fax: (606) 622-1399

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov