Nostalgia Reflector?

Domenic M. Mallozzi DMallozzi at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 5 10:54:55 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

The Boston FCC office was at 1600 the Custom House(the 16th floor), it was
not a friendly place (Although it had a beautiful marble public entry on the
first floor). Our favorite examiner was stearn faced, about 45 and balding.

The first time I was there the code was given in an alcove between offices,
they would take a few people there with an examiner and try to do the exam in
the cramped area. The sending test was a pain, using a straight key that
badly needed adjustment. I had a friend who actually readjusted the key and
started to send at about 25 WPM. The examiner actually told him to slow down
(by the way it was picture perfect CW).

I remember going to Boston to take the General , Advanced and Extra. I took
my Extra with WA1POJ (N1RI). We both passed and called John K1HZN (W1GS) for
lunch. When John showed up we were so happy we just walked out into the
street to his car (accross the street).  Unfortunately, we were in such a
hurry to tell John the good news that we forgot to look out for the traffic.
State Street in downtown Boston is VERY busy at lunch time. It's a miracle we
wern't killed.

My favorite was after I got my Extra, a friend (KA1AIR) asked me to take the
ride with him for moral support. He went to the front desk and signed up for
the extra. I walked up to the desk and asked the examiner what "he had " to
take. He had the strangest look. I think I took and passed my 3rd commercial
phone. And than started taking the Code test for a commercial telkegraph
ticket, apparently not a very popular exam, the examiners gave me more
strange looks when I asked to take it. I was the only one taking so I had to
wait until the code room (it was a real room by than) was done with all the
other applicant's.

I passed the cipher group test but flunked by a couple of letters the plain
language (I still don't understand it). The examiner couldn't understand
passing the cipher portion and passing the plain language, but seemed
relieved I wasn't taking any more exams that day. The examiners that day gave
me a lot of strange looks. By the way KA1AIR did pass his Extra that day.

73's

Dom
N1DM

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov