Fw: Fw: SB-301 Frontend tubes...sensitivity

talen talen at INETPORT.COM
Wed Aug 9 22:52:41 EDT 2000

Ed,

This reflector certainly is informative and has a wealth of information
and I welcome more input/comments. This is interesting stuff.

The proceedure you outline is exactly the one which is documented
to determine the S+N/N sensitivity of a receiver with a fixed 10db
delta at the speaker and see what level of signal it took to achieve
that.....the lower the better.

I'm not trying to establish an absolute receiver sensitivity level, only
make "relative" measuremants. 0.2uV is as low as my generator
goes without external attenuators. So, what I'm trying to do is a
relative comparison to see which is better with a fixed 0.2uV input
at the antenna, make a change to the design and see if it improved.
I guess a better approach, even for a "relative" measurement would
be to insert a step attenuator and record the db attenuation while
maintaining a "constant" 10db S+N/N at the speaker.

I don't believe a stronger signal with increased noise means better
sensitivity. That's like adding another RF stage or an AF stage for
that matter and making the signal (and noise) louder. Seems like
what you would want for "sensitivity" in a frontend is response to
very low level signals and greater separation between the noise
and signal ......or a higher S+N/N ratio. Other things to consider
in a frontend would be image rejection, strong signal handling
capability, etc.

73s  Kees K5BCQ