WTB: monobanders 20 and 40, HW or HWA

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Fri Aug 25 10:03:10 EDT 2000

Greetings Heathens:
        Recently I bought an HW 12 75 meter monobander from a gent on the Heath
list. Nice transaction. I did some cleaning and tweaking and it now
seems to be running right. In the course of working and cleaning, I
began to enjoy this simple but elegant and effective rig.
        In short the experience has made me hope for a chance to pick up the
other two bands in HW 22 (20 meters) and HW 32 (40 meters) units. The A
version of either would be fine too.
        The best lesson I learned working on the rig came from the fact that I
was running my HP 23 power supply at 300 volts (low voltage line) on the
assumption that the inputs would be the same as for my HW 101 which
requires 300 v.

WRONG-O.

The HW 12 did strange things. As soon as I consulted the manual, noticed
the voltage differences, I modified my HP 23 to act like an HP 23B with
low voltage switchable from 300 or 250, ran 250 into the rig, and all
the weird stuff went away.
        I also found an extra parallel fixed cap on the final tune variable.
That threw me for a while because I couldn’t get the final to tune.
Looks like the previous owner was trying to shift out of design band.
That was probably why the VFO was set lowside. Once I brought that back
to specs, installed a new set of finals from AES for total of $7 (how
many rigs can make that claim???), bingo, 100 watts plus output, nice
receiver action, altogether delightful and easy to use.
        Shore would like to have fun with em on 40 and 20.
--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD

email: