interference

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Tue Aug 29 21:15:41 EDT 2000

Greetings kitters and rekitters:
        I have come up against a case of interference from my station in both
my own household intercom and that of my next door neighbor, who is a
cooperative soul. It would be good to get this cleared up in both cases,
if for no other reason than the high standards of operating in the
amateur service.
        I have 2 ground mounted verticals. I had presumed my station is clean,
with a good ground. The station ground is a 6 foot electrician’s ground
rod in the ground thru the floor slab just beneath my station bench.
Ground line is heavy copper wire about 4 or 5 feet long, running
straight down behind shack bench to the rod along the back wall.
        What I get is a scratchy voice-like sound in the intercoms when I
transmit anything above qrp. I suspect that reatment of the intercoms
would be the way to go, after reading the ARRL chapter.
        If anyone has had some experience, I would appreciate hearing about
your successs. It is possible that I need to do something to my station,
like a filter, or maybe something on my ground.
        I run mostly tube gear like Swan, Heath, Hallicrafters, Eico, from QRP
to max of about 300 watts out.

Many thanks,

--

Ken Ketner