SB-401 won't tune up

Jack Cantrell jack_cantrell at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 1 21:54:39 EST 2000

I have recently acquired an SB-401 (and SB-303) and am
attempting to get myself on the air.  I'm having
trouble tuning up the SB-401 according to the
operating instructions and the checklist on page 114
of the manual.

Specifically, this occurs first thing.  I set the
function switch to Transceive, the mode switch to
Tune, the meter switch to Grid, and then nothing.
Nothing at all.

I get a meter reading from HV of 8.  Otherwise
nothing.  All of the tubes light up except for the
V7/OA7.  I can't tell if that one lights up or not.

Does anybody recognize these symptoms?  Any suggestions?