Apache TX-1 problem

Jim Temple jetemp01 at ATHENA.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Sat Dec 9 12:27:23 EST 2000

Hello to the list,

I recently purchased a Mohawk/Apache combo.  The Mohawk, after a few tube
changes and reworking grounds, works great.

However, the Apache works up through the point before putting high voltage
to it.  The drive grid easily reaches the requisite 6ma.  When throwing the
plate switch, the high voltage transformer makes a rattling sound, then
blows a fuse.  I checked the resistance, according to the manual, from
ground to the high voltage bleeder and it was correct at 30K.

Just as I was writing this message, I had the Apache idling for about 1/2
hour, and the 20-20-20 electrolitic cap smoked and emptied black goo into
the chassis.

So, I have a repair job.

First, does the correct resistance of the high voltage transformer
conclusively indicate a good transformer?

Second, given the symptoms of blowing a fuse when applying high voltage, and
now the overheated 20-20-20 electrolitic cap, what course of action does
this indicate?

Thanks for any hints or advice anyone might be willing to offer.

Sincerely,

Jim
73, KF4ICZ

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov