Frequency!!

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Dec 16 14:53:54 EST 2000

Grin!  If that big moose was the receiver, I guess I can see why they didn't want to
clutter up the desk with the xmitter.  Wouldn't be able to see the actor! <g>

There's also the thing that they find this unit in an old trunk in the closet.  Aside from
the fact that a trunk can only hold so much stuff, if it had taken a degree in EE to hook
up all the gear, I guess the whole premise wouldn't have worked.

Of course, the whole idea that radio waves could be trapped in a solar flare for 30 years
is ridiculous on the face of it.  Even if they had been, they would hardly arrive at the
earth again, phase coherent.

OTOH, ridiculous is not necessarily the same as impossible -- especially in Hollywood, of
course.  I read somewhere that when a photon is generated deep within the sun, it takes it
something like 100,000 years to get to the surface.  All notions of normal laws of physics
go out the window in the presence of such stupendous pressures, temps, magnetic fields,
etc., etc.

Jack

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov