Frequency!!

Vic Tosca tosca at FRONTIERNET.NET
Sun Dec 17 15:14:21 EST 2000

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:58:52 -0500, mike bryce
<prosolar at SSSNET.COM> wrote the following about "Re:
Frequency!!":

> well if you look real close, you'll see heath added an extra pc board or
> two.. someone (i.e. hollywood) added this guy with extra tubes. these are
> the tubes that are fixed when the radio is repaired in 1969... I guess that
> is what made the receiver into a transceiver...

Some years ago, we provided "beyond repair" units to a movie
firm. It was a very odd operation...

Their requirements were that the cabinets were in "as-new"
condition. A lot of these junkers that they purchased, such as a
TV set, would have only a cabinet and a picture tube, the guts
were usually stripped. Some VCR's and radios were totally
"gut-less", as long as the cabinets were in good condition. We
usually go about $25.00 per unit for these things.

Then came the "science fiction" items; usually older test
equipment. There were several times that we were instructed to
make the lights flash, meters swing, so on. We used to buy
surplus from wherever, some military stuff, whatever, and
"refurb" it into usable props.

Once we took a ready-to-be-tossed midrange computer, and built in
the relay system from a pinball machine, and connected lights
where the solenoids were connected, for a futuristic computer.

Anytime I saw an out-take of one of the productions, I noted that
the units were *always* blown up, sledge-hammered, run over,
thrown from a roof, smashed over someone's head....

Needless to say, the producers had no idea of what any of the
stuff was originally used for, or how it was used. As long as it
LOOKED the part. And today, I wish I'd saved that NC-303 and
HQ-180AX, and that ENTIRE swell Viking Valiant II w/SSB adapter,
and...

=vt
--
TOSCA ELECTRONIC SERVICES, inc.