HW-101: low sensitivity

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) eb5agv at CTV.ES
Tue Dec 26 02:16:48 EST 2000

Hello!

I have been working lately in a new project arrived to my shack, a 1980
built HW-101 transceiver (S/N 29k). I removed some previous attempts to fix
it in the RF board (in form of components soldered over old ones cut legs)
and then aligned the heterodyne oscillators and the IF transformers,
following the manual.

So far the set works in all bands but with reduced sensitivity. I have done
some tests, as injecting a modulated IF frequency directly in the crystal
filter and then I get good output. I have also replaced the tubes with
known good ones, but got no difference. BTW, I found no less than four bad
tubes in the rig when i got it. Three of them were clearly gassy (white
looking getter) and the other one was very low gm... I think this is the
first set I get with so many bad tubes. FYI, the three gassy ones were 'EL
MENCO' brand tubes.

So it seems the problem relies in the first RF stages. I would like to know
RF levels at different stages; let's say I inject an 'standard' -73dBm
signal in the antenna input. Which should be the RF level at V10 (RF
amplifier) output?. And in V11 (first mixer) output?. And so on. I know in
the manual you have RF levels, but only for transmit operation. Approximate
values would do.

Any help will be welcomed!

I hope you had a very nice Christmas, as I did.

JOSE