unbuilt predictions

Chuck Penson wa7zze at JUNO.COM
Thu Dec 28 21:29:11 EST 2000

Last year, during my talk on Heathkits at the Dayton Hamvention, I
predicted (as many of you who were there will recall) that given the
popularity of unbuilt Heathkits and the astronomical prices for which
they could be sold, within two years there would be a thriving cottage
industry based on the sale of what I called “rekits” -- Heathkits that
had been disassembled, cleaned up, fitted with new parts, repackaged, and
sold once again as kits. I am gratified to see that my prediction has
come to pass.

I am not surprised to see one show up on ebay. In fact the only thing
that does surprise me is that it took so long.

Those who have read my book or my articles in ER will know that I am a
fiery opponent of assembling unbuilt Heathkits. I won’t bother you with
my reasons. Read the book.

I for one applaud and support the rekit concept for two reasons. 1) It
lessens the desire to assemble true original never-before-assembled kits,
and 2) it satisfies the desires of those who really want to built
kits--especially kits with vacuum tubes.

The last time I looked this rekit was up over $100 dollars. It  will end
up much higher, I am certain. As a result you can expect to see a flood
of them hit the market, and with this flood, perhaps a lowering of
prices. Someone may even start to sell them through a catalog.

I think Howard Anthony would be very happy.

Cheers,

Chuck / WA7ZZE

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov