HW-101: receiver fixed!

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) eb5agv at CTV.ES
Sat Dec 30 17:49:14 EST 2000

Hello!

Thanks to all of you for your comments and hints. Based on them I finally
found that there was not trouble at all in the 3.5 and 7.0 coils but just a
faulty alignment because they peaked so deep into the coil form that I had
never put them so far, thinking that the end of the coil was closer!. As
the rig came to me completely missaligned (as a result of attempts to fix
it), the right position for these coils was really far from its current
position, and this puzzled me (a bit more than usual ;-) )

I have in this moment the HW-101 listening in 40 meters. It performs fine
and the standard -73dBm (50uV) signal is a nice 9 in the S-meter.

One thing I forgot in previous message is that the VFO was not smooth and I
got some small frequency jumps while moving it at a constant speed. One of
the service bulletins called for an improved ground wire in the VFO
variable capacitor. I put it and also cleaned the capacitor rotor contacts
and now the VFO is smooth, frequency-wise (it was already smooth
mechanically). And once there (I mean, working on the VFO), I cut a too
long filament wiring and let it as in the manual picture, to prevent
humming from coupling with signal wiring.

Also, the VFO alignment was far from good, so I 'linearized' it by means of
the VFO coil and trimmers. Now it tracks the frequency as it should.

I still need to align the transmitter... I will let you know what I find.

Best regards and, again, happy 2001!

JOSE
  73 EB5AGV / EC5AAU
     JOSE V. GAVILA