EICO quality

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Dec 31 07:22:52 EST 2000

Bob Groh WA2CKY wrote:

> To add my 2 cents worth .. I have also liked the EICO
> equipment and, yes, I do think it was of excellent quality.
> I had an EICO 720 transmitter way back in the 50s when I was
> a Novice - in fact, it replaced an old Heathkit AT-1.  The
> 720 was very, very nice.  Wish I had both units now!

I had an Eico VTVM, also.  It was also very good.

> I've also got a HFT-90 EICO AM/FM tuner ... also very nice.
> I've had than since the 50s.  Built it from a kit for my
> mother for a Christmas present.  I also just picked up an
> EICO grid dip meter (built version) and it is also nice.
> Not as nice as my James Millen GDO but nicer than the
> Heathkit versions.

I had one of those also.  The HFT-90 and HFT-92 were classics, and offered superb
price/performance ratio for their day.  I'm told that that little ferrite tuning deal was
lifted out of some surplus gear, but wherever they got it, it sure did the job well.

> So overall, yes, the EICO was better built.  Just a little
> bit better quality but, as Terry Perdue said it so well,
> they had a 'thinner' product line.

Good point re the "thinner."

By the way, for interest, I used to work at Heath, which I know you and others here did.
I can still recall the thrill of walking out past the shipping dock, along a corridor
perhaps 100' long, and made of Heathkit boxes, ready to be shipped, stacked 20 feet
high.  Wow!  It was like a scene from the end of Indiana Jones.  What I wouldn't give to
have the whole lot of them, now.

Jack

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov