ID-4001 Help Needed

Mike Morris morris at COGENT.NET
Wed Feb 2 17:52:12 EST 2000

At 12:40 PM 02/02/2000 , you wrote:
>I have just pulled my ID-4001 Weather Computer out of an eight year storage
>period.  When checking it out I found that everything worked fine except that
>the wind direction indicator only displays from ESE to West.  If you
>continue to
>rotate the weather vane in the same direction the indications just reverse
>direction and go from West back to ESE.
>
>Does anyone have an idea what is causing this or can you give me an idea where
>to start troubleshooting?
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated!

If I remember correctly the weather vane is a multi-bit parallel binary
encoder. If I remember correctly if the high order bit is open (i.e.
a broken wire in the cable, or a broken reed switch in the encoder it will
do just as you describe.

>Thanks,
>Gary

By the way, be VERY careful with the temperature sensors.  They are
sealed (i.e. epoxy potted), and no longer available.  In the year or
so I've been reading this list, there has been no response to the
inquiries posted by several people as to a source for these sensors,
and no info as to what is inside...  a thermistor, a temperature
sensitive diode, etc.  I have a operational 4001 and don't know what
I will do when one of the sensors dies...

And spraying the outside sensor array - the weather vane and anemometer
plastic with a half-dozen light coats of Armor-All preservative won't
hurt (let each coat dry in between applications).
That stuff is basically a lacquer-type material with molecules that are
tight enough that UV can't get through.

Mike

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov