Temperature Sensors for ID-4001 and ID-5001

Robin De Vore rkdevor at IBM.NET
Thu Feb 3 22:12:26 EST 2000

Fellow Heath meteorologists,

I talked with a very nice gentleman at Questeck this morning and learned
several useful things about the temperature sensors and the ID-4001/5001.
Here is what I learned.

The sensor is an LM3911 IC and both the ID-5001 and ID-4001 do use the same
sensors. They sell the complete indoor and outdoor sensors with cables for
$45 and $55, respectively. I asked if he sells the IC individually and he
said no one had asked before but yes he would. I have ordered two and will
confirm that they work on the ID-4001 when they arrive. He said the LM3911
is no longer produced but that there are sources of NOS. The LM3911 he has
is an 8 pin IC rather than the 4 pin that was supplied in the original
Heath units.

They also have the photo emitter and photo detectors for the wind/direction
sensors. The 412-635 LED is $4.48 and the 417-919 detector is $4.52. They
also have original Heath manuals for the ID-5001.

The mentioned that you must have the temperature sensors connected to the
ID-5001 for it to function correctly. Also, the booms are the same except
there are some internal differences in the wiring connections.

He said one of the frequent problems with the ID-5001 is the light dimmer
and that it fails if one doesn't replace the lamp when the lamp starts to
fail. He said they eliminate the dimmer on units sent in for repair so I
conclude that the dimmer isn't available.

We talked about the problems with the ID-4001. They get many requests for
the CPU which most of us have learned is no longer available. He suggested
that the only solution is for someone to develop a substitute chip/circuit.
They did not buy or get the program for the ID-4001 from Heath. If someone
knows how I can obtain a copy, please contact me as I'm interested in
trying to develop a substitute for the MK3870.

Questech sells new ID-5001 and repairs units.
http://www.questech-inc.com/default.htm

Regards,

Robin De Vore
N5UUG