ID-4001 Temperature Sensors...

Rob Frans Rfrans1 at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 4 06:11:52 EST 2000

The following info was from a guy named Kevin that was extremely helpful to
me in getting my 4001 back up and running... the IC's are only $4.95 each and
work great! Please find his notes to me on where to get the IC's and also the
pin configuration in hooking them up... 73, Rob

Hi Rob,
 inside the metal can on the end of the sensor cable heath used a linear IC
know as a  LM3911 temp. controller, they used it in a T-05 package (like a
big can transistor) and that matches the pinout shown on the schematic,
problem is those IC's have been discontinued and are hard to find, but
LM3911's are still available in an 8 pin DIP  package which are available at
the following URL http://www.elexp.com/ics_10cn.htm .
You will also need some 2 conductor shielded cable, preferably the foil type
shield for maximum shielding and then something to protect the IC from the
elements, I  dipped mine in epoxy, and then used a rubber like mix that is
made for coating tool handles.
 If you decide to go this route let me know and I will send you the
pinout/hookup for the IC's since the 8 pin DIP has a different pinout......
Kevin

Hi,
  ok 2 conductor shielded cable with a white, black and shield wire...white
goes to pin 1, shield wire goes to pin 2 & 3, black wire goes to pin 4, pin
5-6-7-8 are not used...
now if you look at your schematic they show a coil on the outside sensor,
this was for rf protection but if you keep the cable as short as possible
and keep it away from any transmitters you shouldn't have any problems, at
least I haven't.
 Once your cables are built and sealed then hook them up and calibrate as
per the book, don't try to calibrate with just one hooked up, you need both
hooked up to calibrate properly.

thanks, Kevin

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov