hw101 problems

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Sat Feb 5 14:35:24 EST 2000

boys and girls!

I have been working on a hw101. it receives like a champ, and produces a
good +100 watts of rf on cw

now the problem..

with the function switch set in ssb (either usb or lsb) and the function
switch in ptt (or vox either way does not matter) keying the ptt line
produces a whine from the speaker and thus produces rf output!!!

with mr scope, I find the tone on the input to the mic jack. The whine is
NOT the same freq as the cw sidetone. Tried pulling the vox amp and tone
oscillator tubes, but that did not fix it.

now, the plot thickens! since this rig does not have the cw filter
installed, switching the filter switch to this empty position makes the
whine go away.

tried subing tubes in IF and modulator section.

boys, I am out of magic!

any ideas at all ??

--
Mike Bryce