sweet smell of sucess-hw101

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Sun Feb 6 13:51:08 EST 2000

boys and girls--keepers of the green

sucess!

after much looking and poking I found the trouble  to my 101. thought I
would pass on the fix if case someone else gets into this spot

the whine in transmitt was found to be a fubar tube in the speech amplifier.
It tested good, and the one that I switched did the same thing. A NOS tube
fixed that problem.  I found that the -65 volts would only be -12 with the
odd ball tube.

The dead transmitter took more time..

trace the problem down to no output from the isolation stage. That in turn
turned out to be a open T1 transformer on the modulator board. I've never
ever seen a open IF transformer before in all my years of smelling solder
fumes.

I stole one out of a parts rig I had. New used IF transformer fixed the
problem..

So, this begs the question...

Where can I get a new transformer IT's heath part number 52-79
Anyone have a junker modulator board from a 101 they want to part with?

AND now a question for the group..

I've run the carrier null CONTROL all the way into its stop before I see any
carrier drop.

the carrier Capacitor does very little.

any ideas????

Mike Bryce