Collectors favorite tubes question

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Sat Jan 1 15:16:36 EST 2000

At 02:04 PM 2000-01-01 -0500, canfield wrote:
>   Recently heard about a growing interest in  collecting Tubes. But not
>knowing much about it, I've got the following  question.   Since there are
>some many types and makes, what are  the favorite tubes of a "true" Tube
>Collector or a "Audiophile"?   Can anyone answer that?   Thanks Bill

My attitude may sound pretty selfish; and if it happens to bother some
people, well; sorry about that!

I'm not inclined to pass on such information to someone evidently intending
to start a "collection" of items that have been becoming scarcer and more
expensive at least due in part to such "collecting" activities of other
speculators. I would hope that other users (not merely "collectors") of
these scarce items would share that sentiment, exercise some restraint, and
refrain from encouraging still more speculation.

Now, if Mr. Canfield's desire was, instead, to find some tubes for
restoration of equipment, that would clearly be a different story; 99% of
us would jump to help.

There are those with stockpiles of hundreds or thousands of such items who
will eagerly jump down my throat because they would really like to sell
everything they've got to some speculator who is perfectly willing to pay
extraordinary and exorbitant prices. Some have even accumulated those
stockpiles with the intention of cashing in when they've finally cornered
the world's supply; to you folks, I say, JUMP.

I've got the same attitude toward others who would hoard items of this
nature, including equipment; so understand that it's not personal, Mr.
Canfield: it applies across the board.

Flame away, folks: I've had my say and see no need to respond further. As
Mr. Lurch imparted just this morning (but on a different subject):

"It is sadly typical of a decayed society that the majority
are willing- without question and damning those who do question-
to follow any authority figure,
selling their birthrights and betraying their neighbors,
all for the promise of temporary relief of some problem.
I'm sure you remember what Benjamin Franklin
had to say about such a people."

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov