HW-101 Problem

Robert Norgard rnorgard at GCI.NET
Sat Jan 1 22:02:30 EST 2000

Hi Perry, and Happy New Year.

This problem is not unusual for my SB-102.  I do not have direct
experience with the 101, but this should be similar.

You should let the unit cook for at least 30 min to an hour,
then do the 15 meter receive alignment as shown in your manual.
For the SB-102, the local oscillator coil is adjusted for 1.5
volts ( I believe ) on a test point on a ckt board.  Yours is
probably either failing to start, or drifting out of range and
loosing oscillation.  Could possibly be related to the
oscillator tube, but if 10 works fine I don't think so.

Be aware, that the coil must be adjusted to the "correct" side
of the "peak".  This is not difficult and is outlined in the
manual.

I think the way it goes is that, while watching your analog
meter on the testpoint, turning the slug will peak the reading.
On one side of the peak voltage increases gradually, while on
the other side, it has a very much sharper slope.  You should
adjust your voltage when you are on the "gradual" sloped side of
the peak.  You aren't looking to set it at the peak, just be on
the correct side of it.  All this does is put the coil in a
"stable" spot so that it won't drift out and loose oscillation.

I think this will solve your problem.
-- Bob

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov