HW-8

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Mon Jan 3 01:20:05 EST 2000

Hello:

Still thinking about having a batch of 26-152 vfo capacitors made for
HW-8's.

An option they gave me was to add an in-shaft vernier drive. This also
provides a slip-clutch to prevent the inherent problem in the 26-152, that
of the rotor plates falling off the shaft due to overtorque at
end-of-rotation.

I would like some opinions regarding this...the shaft will be 1/2" longer
with the vernier.
I am well aware that proposed modifications can make some folks need a
change of shorts, but considering the weakness/flaw in the capacitor
installation and the cost of a new one ($15-20), I'd like to explore an
'improvement'.

    1) What are the consequences of a longer shaft? Does the knob stick out
the front of          the radio too far, or is it impossible to fit, or
could the cap be moved back on the
         chassis 1/2"?

    2) Is there currently a vernier in the HW-8, and would a second "throw
off" the dial
        readout?

Thanks

Murray