FW: HW-8

Mike Besemer (KG8L) kg8l at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Jan 3 13:53:05 EST 2000

Hmmm, at the risk of offending any of the true purists, I'd have to say that
I'd probably be interested in one of these jewels!  My poor old HW-8 is far
from pristine anyway, so the improvement garnered from a more reliable
tuning cap would probably be worth 'desecrating' the rig for!  Popping the
cover off of mine revealed that the current tuning cap is mounted on a 'U'
bracket about 3/4 of an inch deep and the vernier drive is mounted off of
the inside of the chassis about 1/4".  If the shaft on the new cap is 1/2
longer and you removed the existing drive, chances are the shaft will be too
short! (assuming mounting it on the original 'U' bracket.  If you pulled the
vernier and the 'U' bracket out, you could use standoffs to adjust the depth
to the correct dimension for the knob to fit.  I'm not sure yet how to
attach the dial...I'm sure some ham ingenuity could come up with a solution.
Sorry I can't be very definitive here, but I think that the extra shaft
length could be compensated for.  Keep us informed...I'm tired of my cap
falling apart!

72,

Mike
KG8L/5