SB-104A Problems

Kechkaylo, David DKechkaylo at ADAPTIVEBROADBAND.COM
Tue Jan 4 12:33:41 EST 2000

Bill:

There is a CW keying modification which is part of the SB-104 upgrade which
involves a couple of wiring changes on the rear section of the CW/mic level
pot, plus the addition of a 5uF electrolytic cap. Your SB-104 level didn't
come that way in the first four production runs. I'd check the wiring
changes there. I have an SB-104 update mod kit manual if this would help.

I had the very same problem you described recently on my SB-104 manual #1
unit and this pot was pretty old (early 1974 vintage). Direct replacement of
this two-section pot from another SB-104 cured the problem.

The use of either the new (85-1931-1) or the old (85-1459-2, 85-1666-1 or
85-1708-2) receiver front end board installed in compartment "G" of your
SB-104(A) will not cause the RF gain control to work incorrectly; rather,
I'd check for a wiring error there. The "A" version upgrade requires a
wiring change there as well, and effectively removes one section of this
dual pot which was used on the older SB-104 version as part of the RF gain
control (adjusted bias on a PNP transistor which shunted RF in the 8.65MHz
1st IF filter to ground). Altho no longer used in the "A" version, the RF
gain control in the SB-104A really should be termed "IF Gain", as it now
only controls the gain in the MC1350P (IC501) IF amp on board "F".

Hope this helps.

Dave Kechkaylo, W8DLK

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov