capitalism

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Sat Jan 8 11:44:09 EST 2000

At 09:56 AM 2000-01-08 -0600, swlistener at bigfoot.com wrote:
>I guess wanting the masses to get good deals and low prices
>and not have the seller get his true value sounds like
>communism, right steve....are you?

As a matter of fact, I was struck by the irony of these statements:

"It seems to me that ebay has done a good thing for amateur equipment, on
the whole. The older stuff is circulating, things are being sold by willing
sellers to willing buyers. That’s how the free enterprise system works. The
reflectors on the other hand, are not a good reflection of market value,
because one is restricted to only giving an asking price. As soon as that
is met, the item sells, and there is no chance for buyer number two (who,
thru the accidents of time and message distribution didn’t see the ad until
1 hour after the first guy saw the ad) to say “Well, I will give $10 more
than the previous price.” So the reflectors are not a good indication of
market value."

There is a country in this wide world where the "free market" is operating
exactly this way. Guess where?

Right: Russia; so-called "democratic" Russia, where nobody can afford to
buy food any longer because there's always sellers holding out for someone
else who will pay more. The land where chaos reigns, where everything you
buy comes from mafiosi types because legitimate storeowners can't afford to
buy stuffs to sell to ordinary peoples because mafiosi types commandeer the
supply. The land where, if you refuse to sell to mafiosi types at what THEY
want to pay, you get wiped out. The land where civilization hardly exists
any longer.

What's the difference between there and here?

Right: you walk into a store and you plunks down the money asked and you
takes it home. If it's too high, you just don't buy it; or you buy
something cheaper. They can't do that over there; there's always someone
who will pay more.

Sounds to me as if most of you flamers are aching for the same situation to
occur here.

That's enough said; let's knock it off and get back to talking Heathkits.

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov