IM 17 battery

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Mon Jan 10 15:29:04 EST 2000

Kenneth Bakhaus wrote:

> Is anyone out there still using the IM17 multimeter and, if so, what is
> being used for the 8.4 mercury battery other than a standard 9v noted as an
> option in the manual? I don't seem to find mercury batteries listed
> anywhere but maybe haven't found the right place although it would not
> surprise me that they aren't made anymore per environmental concerns.
> Thanks
>
> Hi Kenneth.

Batteries containing mercury are not sold in the USA anymore because of disposal of the
mercury. This material is toxic to the environment.

EPA bans its use in batteries in the USA. However, batteries containing mercury can still
be found here in Canada, and in Europe and Asia. I would suggest checking web sites
outside of the USA for these batteries.

I hope that this helps.

Harvey A. Kader

Sponsored by the City of Tempe