HUM - GR-54 & SB-301 & Hasti Fisti

Fred Finster fred_finster at EL.NEC.COM
Mon Jan 10 23:47:57 EST 2000

What a great read.   Thanks, sounds like magic to me.  Trying to FIX HUM
problems.
Who would have thought,  Hasti Fisti was coming back to life and haunt you
as a HUM
problem.   What a conincidence to see your wife's voice on the oscilloscope.
Does she
talk LOUD?  Eh, I can't hear you honey, over this annoying HUM problem in
this derelict Heath radio? Honey, Can you speak up?  Honey Did you ever see
how beautiful your voice
looks?

 Wonder if 60Hz HUM isn't the fore runner (foreigner) to the PL Tones.
No Sir, that extra noise you hear is the PL tone in these ancient radios.
They had two
kinds.  Half-wave at 30hz and Full Wave at 60Hz.  Now, if you jest ingect a
leetle of
that PL tone over there into this Microphone, the guy on the other end of
the propagation
wave will hear you better because you are constantly modulating.  Therefore
your
output power will be an the average a bit higher, than the next guy in the
pile up. Now since he is listening with a good quality SSB rig, he might
miss some of that PL tone below 300 HZ.  So you should tell him to switch to
AM reception.  Upon hearing that fine Full-Wave PL tone modulation of your
signal, he can instantly comment on the fine quality of your signal.    For
CW it is even better to add the PL Tone Modulation especially for QRP
operation.  Hams will come out of the woodwork worldwide to comment on your
362 signal.

RST report
3 I can mostly hear you
4 Signal strength is adequate
2 You have that lovely PL tone.  Really makes you stand out in a crowded
pile up.
   Easy to capture that distinctive PL tone by ear.

Hasti Fisti, will we ever hear you again?

The SCREW audit?
You didn't  mention once the IRS in that paragraph.  Too, bad.

Thanks again.  It will give me hope to continue on re-inventing the wheel
when a
set of problems comes my way.

Keep Laughing,  its the best medicine.

Fred Finster WB7ODY