Help: SB-401 and HW-101 Refurb

Chris Hulgan c-hulgan at RAYTHEON.COM
Tue Jan 11 20:33:15 EST 2000

Hi Chuck,

I'm in the process of breathing new life into to my rather old HW-101 (many
miles on the odometer).  I noticed in your post you mentioned "wafer
switches cleaned".  What did you use to accomplish this?  I've had several
recommendation, but no one has actually used any of the recommended
products.  Therefore, I would prefer to use a proven recommendation.

Kind regards,

Chris D Hulgan
-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Chuck W4MIL
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 6:59 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Help: SB-401

Fellow Heathens--

I have been restoring a very mistreated 401 and finally reached the point
where alignment is the only thing remaining.  New caps, New tubes, ALL
crystals installed for stand alone operation, wafer switches cleaned, et.
al........

The problem I'm having is in the Carrier Null adjustment.  The R and C
components just won't allow me to balance the thing.  I get good voltage
readings in the USB position but when switched to LSB, the voltage cannot be
brought to the level achieved in the USB position.  I checked the usual
components-----no problems.  Front-to-back resistance measurements of the 4
diodes in the bridge indicate they are o.k. in that they measure about the
same each.  Tried another LSB crystal and no help.

Anyone got a clue?  Could there be anything in the instructions that may be
printed incorrectly?  I'm open for suggestions/help.

Thanks in advance es 73 de W4MIL

Chuck

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov
'name' 'call'"