Help: SB-401 and HW-101 Refurb

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Tue Jan 11 21:41:02 EST 2000

At 07:33 PM 2000-01-11 -0600, Chris Hulgan wrote:
>Hi Chuck,
>
>I'm in the process of breathing new life into to my rather old HW-101 (many
>miles on the odometer).  I noticed in your post you mentioned "wafer
>switches cleaned".  What did you use to accomplish this?  I've had several
>recommendation, but no one has actually used any of the recommended
>products.  Therefore, I would prefer to use a proven recommendation.

Not to complain, folks, just an observation and idea... since this will be
AT LEAST the fourth time within the past 12 months that this particular
thread has occurred, I think maybe it's high-time that someone collated
information on things like:

1. Paints and sources
2. Dial cords/strings
3. Rubber belts
4. Cleaners
   a. Cabinets
   b. PC boards
   c. Switches
5. Parts sources such as Harbach
6. Differences between tube types such as 6146/6146A/6146B/6146W (I think
that's already there)
7. Sources and ideas for substitute rubber feet
8. etc.

... and other such commonly-asked questions and got them onto KB9JJA's or
another web site, with mention of that site in the signature block of the
two active Heath reflectors. (NOTE: there's already a page on Dale's site
called "Heathkit Resources" that lists suppliers of much stuffs-Heath).
That way, folks needing that information can quickly and easily find the
appropriate web links. Some of this info is already on Dale's site but I'm
not sure how easy it is to find quick-in-a-hurry.

The easiest way, obviously, is to merely refer seekers to the Tempe
archives. But that's not a very good solution for the individual seeker
because so many times, postings with a particular topic in the subject
header have branched off into other things. Thus, you wind up having to
pore through umpteen thousand postings to find the one lil gold nugget most
needed. I guess that doing this would actually amount to just about the
same thing as writing a book titled "The Care and Feeding of Heathkits",
wouldn't it :o))))))))) (and No, *I'M* not volunteering!!)

Of course, then too, since those subjects are 75% or more of what's
discussed herein on these reflectors, what would we talk about otherwise
;o))))))

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov