[Hallicrafters] Power Transformer Rewinding Service

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Sun Jan 16 04:53:49 EST 2000

Good morning;
I have addressed this subject before, but it looks like I need to do it
again. My understanding is that old Thomas Alva picked 100 volts (a nice
round figure) for his distribution voltage when installing the first
street lights. It soon became apparent that this was too low as it
required large, heavy, expensive wire, transformers, motors, etc. Since
then the industry has been gradually increasing the voltage so as to
reduce the cost, size and weight of these components. When I was a kid
(1930's) the official voltage was 110 VAC. Since then I have seen it go
to 113, 115, 117, 120 and now 122 VAC. The Europeans were smart enough to
use 220 VAC from the beginning.

I keep harping on the fact that I believe that running old radios
designed for lower voltage on todays higher voltage is responsible, in
part, for all the transformer failures. A simple solution is to use a
filament transformer with a secondary equal to the voltage difference you
want. Wire the primary across the line normally and the secondary in
series with the line to the radio. Be sure to check it both ways first as
one way will add to the line voltage and the other subtract from it. The
secondary should be rated equal or better than the primary current the
radio draws. Fair Radio Sales has a number of filament transformers at
reasonable prices.
73,
Ed Richards

 —why did power companies raise the line voltage like that?)

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov